Longwood Gardens, Images of Modern America
Thirty miles west of Philadelphia in the historic Brandywine Valley of southeastern Pennsylvania blooms Longwood Gardens, one of the world’s great horticultural centers. The original arboretum was planted beginning about 1800 by a Quaker family named Peirce. Industrialist Pierre Samuel du Pont (1870–1954) bought the property in 1906 to save its historic trees and make it a place where he could entertain his friends and the public. For three decades, he created an astounding collection of gardens, conservatories, and fountains and a perfect setting for the performing arts. Since du Pont’s death in 1954, Longwood Gardens has continued to evolve from a private estate to a very public garden, with renowned designers creating new landscapes to enhance the enjoyment of more than a million guests each year.
- 96 pages.
- Size: 6.5" x 9.25"